Thread: Huh?
View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 07:19

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Back before I became a stay-at-home mom, I spent ten years working in the medical field. Doctors are people - all with varied personalities and opinions just like any other "group." I will say, while we're "grouping" people, most of the surgeons I knew had god syndromes (though not all). Regardless, there's nothing wrong with voicing an objective opinion to them ... as it exPANDS their thinking minds.

I know several individuals that are not overweight or obese who have all kinds of "emotional pathology" from childhood. People are individuals and every single reacts differently with how they cope. In fact, one of them eats anything she wants whenever she wants, with a particular love of sweets, and just has a "lucky" metabolism. Another used to, beyond also eating whatever she wanted, drink milk shakes to try to gain weight and didn't "succeed" until after her fourth child at the age of 40. A couple others I know are still at the low end of their "healthy weight" for their height. Several others I know are at the high end or just slightly over.

So, while I don't doubt that many bariatric patients have plenty of "emotional pathology," they are NOT an exclusive club and Mr/s. Godhead would do well to be told this to be encouraged to think outside the box.

I challenge that emotional pathology covers a significant population, spanning all weights.

Remember, while surgeons may be good at what they do, there are plenty of things of which they're entirely clueless. Many forget this.

ETA: Some of it may be addiction and some of it may be bad metabolism and insulin resistance that MANY doctors aren't well educated in treating properly (which starts with a low carb diet). My FIL is now a full-blown diabetic with kidney disease because his doctor told him that he could continue eating his high carb, SAD diet when first diagnosed with type II diabetes. All the doctor did was put him on glucophage. Sadly, this is too common. The vast majority of the population still believes what they're being told about eating "plenty of healthy grains" and eating low-fat, following the same old food pyramid and doctors are unknowingly destroying their patients lives.