View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/248/200
BF:
Progress: 54%

This forum sounds like it's worth a shot. (Donald - thanks for the invite.)
I agree with Rustpot. It seems that 'diets' have often been associated with women and girls, given the pressure they face to be ultra sleek and slim, and, God forbid, wear something more than a size 3 outfit. Hollywood's image of the perfect woman is (or was) Twiggy.
On the other hand, the ideal male model is David (Michaelangelo's sculpture). I don't look anything like that and, quite frankly, it's unlikely I ever will.

Society has different expectations of men and women. While women should keep their maiden figures, it's okay for a man to get 'soft'. Look at some TV programs for examples: King of Queens, Still Standing, and Yes Dear . The female leads are all slim, petite women, while their TV husbands are, well, fat slobs.

I've adopted a LC lifestyle to improve not just my waistline, but my overall health - lower my LDL and BP, raise my HDL, all of which the LC lifestyle promises. I suggest it's our responsibility to look after ourselves and recognize that being fat/overweight/obese/rotund/pear-shaped (choose the applicable term) is more than just a matter of aesthetics, it's a matter of overall health.

Icedancer's got a good point, too. We can dedicate ourselves to a goal, and because of the abundance of testosterone in our systems, we often adopt a 'do it or die trying' attitude toward things. Notwithstanding the foregoing, it can be difficult/depressing when we hit plateaus and obstacles on the way to our goals and it's good to be able to get encouragement from other guys in the same boat as us. I can't exactly go to the guy down the hall and start chatting about a sub-20 carb diet and being stuck at a plateau.

Welcome to all guys, and warmest regards to all,

George F

PS: Tamarian; what's a "Tamarian"? I'm a fan of ST:TNG too, but that name/culture/race doesn't ring any bells.