Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 21:35

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Can you tell me what I am doing wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD
I am asking for help as I am doing something wrong in the zone and would appreciate any assistance you can give. I was on Atkins for 3 years. I am on the Zone now for about a year. I like it but I am stuck at 210 and cannot budge.

This is an area I can help you with.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD Also, I am hungry all the time and the book says you will not be if you are following the diet.

That is correct. If you are following the lifestyle correctly, you should not be hungry. Which book have you read? Dr. Sears has 9 published books and has revised and updated (based on scientific research) some of his early writings.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD Everyday, my breakfast is spinach, about 6 Oz of chicken or tuna, low fat salad dressing, 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup berries. I am usually full until lunch and not hungry or disoriented, so I feel this is in the zone.

Spinach – basically a freebie
Oatmeal – 1/2C cooked or dry? What type? Quick, slow cook (5-minute) or steel cut? 1/4C of berries – That is half of a carb block or less (depending on the type)
This breakfast is too low on carbs and way too low on fat.
Also, the human body can only handle a relatively small amount of protein at any one time ~ about 35 grams or 5 ounces. So that is too much protein at one sitting.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD For lunch, sometimes I have lettuce, 6 oz of chicken or tuna and low fat dressing plus 1 cup low fat yogurt and berries. Or, I might have one sliced of whole wheat bread with bologna and a little ketchup. If I have the sandwich (which the book allows) I often get very spaced out after lunch. Either way, I am starving by 3PM.

Again, too much protein at once (yogurt and all dairy is a combination food, so everything is counted – protein, carb and fat)
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD Sometimes at 3PM I have a Zone Perfect bar but it usually sends me into a depression tail spin or makes me very tired.

That is a common reaction to the ZP bars.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD By dinner, I am sooooo hungry, I blow it. I sometimes have another salad but unuaslly I haqve about 8 oz of beef or 3 chichn thighs and a cup of brussel sprouts and a salad. I get hungry at night though. Sometimes I have another yogurt and fruit.

This is very understandable, given what you’ve been eating. You’re clearly not getting enough fat (monounsaturated), which among other things, will keep you from getting hungry. You’re also not getting enough carbs and eating too much protein at any one time. Additionally, it is important to spread your meals and snacks out to AT LEAST 5 times a day ~ more often is desirable so you maintain insulin levels (I eat about 7-8 times a day). This includes eating before you go to bed (a 1 balanced block snack)
I don’t know what your block requirement is, but the minimum for a man is 14. Yours is likely higher. Have you calculated what your requirement is?
Check back on some of my earlier posts. I listed some basic “guidelines”. I also posted a sample menu. My block requirement fluctuates between 13 and 15 depending on activity. I don’t recall what menu I posted. Adjust accordingly.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD Everey second night, I have a glass of rede wine as I have read it cuts your risk of heart attack.
Balance that with 1 ounce of cheese and you have a great B4 bed snack!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD That's it. Can anyone advise on how far I am from the zone or why I am stuck where I am in weight.
Take a deep breath, make the suggested adjustments, stick to it for at least a week ~~~ and let us know. I’ll bet the lbs start melting away! You’ll likely hit another plateau down the road, at which time I can assist.
Meanwhile, you’ve been given excellent advice from blondie79 & CarolSP
Please continue to ask questions so we can tweak things and get you into YOUR Zone.