#18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 12:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesparia
Living in Germany is making Atkins very tough... standard German fare focuses on bread, potatoes and beer. Bread in the morning, hot lunch and then bread in the evening. A lot of meat and fish is breaded (Schnitzel, for example) and even more meat is processes (Salami, Wurst).
There are many members who do manage to Atkineer in Germany and other European countries.

Everywhere in the world it is much easier if you can do your own cooking then you are not reliant on what restaurants and fast food outlets offer but with perseverance you can do it as a tourist when eating out all the time.

I have only visited Germany a few times since I went Atkins but had no problem. My grasp of the language is not very much more than schoolgirl level but with a dictionary I managed well.

Most meals I was able to order meat without breading, and apart from the sodium in them german sausages are good for Atkins as they do not contain the breadcrumb/rusk/starchy fillers that our British bangers do.

There is usually something 'legal' at most Schnell Imbiss places.

There are many Turkish and Greek restaurants where you can easily get non-carby foods. Apparently Germany's favourite fast food is the Doner Kebab, which without the bread is usually fairly safe. as long as it is the meat slice,s not cut from the elephant leg thingie (which could contain starchy fillers - though traditionally it should not).

And the 'Hähnchen' (rotisserie chicken) on sale at the takeaway type 'Hut' are to die for!!

Breakfasts were easier to Atkinize than at many cheap hotels in UK to be honest, where all they offer is what they laughingly call a 'continental breakfast' which is cereal, toast, maybe a croissant and butter and jam.

Unlike what I was able to get in Germany - plates of cold meats and boiled eggs, which to my mind is a perfect Atkins meal!! I did avoid the obvious meats like meatloaf-style ones but always there were slices of ham and other recogniseable meats to choose.

So try and think positively about working out how best to Atkinise what is offered and you might just surprise yourself.
Quote:
I hear Boots sells Atkins bars...sadly not available in Germany

I would say 'luckily' not available in Germany!!

They are notorious for halting weightloss - the old Atkins company website used to have a whole page advising what to do if they did stall weightloss (basically - drop them from your menus!!).

Also they contain ingredients not allowed on induction like nuts, soya and grains, so are not suitable till the later OWL rungs no matter what phase they claim to be suitable for IMO.