#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:41

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Got called a skinny bitch.

"Jokingly", by female coworkers.

Disclaimers first: I'm not skinny (those stats you see are at 5'5", barely). And yeah, I sort of enjoyed the joke anyway.

But it put me in a really weird emotional place; the coworkers in question are all heavier than me (by, I'd say, 30-70 lbs). Here's the catch: having lost 50, I'm always pretty comfortable with them because in my head that's about the size I am. I would never think of them as particularly fat. (Well, the very youngest one is rushing head on to a very bad place.)

So this made me feel a combo of happy (me? Skinny?) and guilty (I do not want my weight loss to make anyone else feel bad. Ever). And a sense of having been ejected from a club. Seriously, my first thought was to bring them in a photo of myself at 220--why? I don't know. To prove something, but I'm not sure what. I am, or was, one of you. Still am, in my head. I know what it's like. Etc etc. Obviously another moment of reflection told me that it would just make them more conscious of my loss and (I assume) their own inability to lose (because they all try everything but lowcarb).

They're all intelligent and I've tried to reach out to each of them about lowcarb (only when asked!) but they all reject it for one reason or another. This is another source of internal tension for me because I like to solve problems for people; and all I can do in this situation is smile through all their high-carb meals. Keep my mouth shut.

Overall it's making my work life more complex than it used to be (I used to make glib posts about how people should just tell their coworkers to STFU; but this is a different situation, I guess. They're not critcizing my diet, just occasionally offering me carbs, and now this skinny-bitch thing.)

Anyway, this is definitely causing some sort of change in self-perception, and my perception of how other people perceive me, and how you really can't avoid affecting those around you even if (like me) you try to keep to yourself as much as humanly possible.

(I'm not hurt or offended, or feel the need to get on my high horse about them being 'jealous'. But it's definitely made me rethink some things.)
Sponsored Links