Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Another health success story

Quote:
Originally posted by liz175
I feel a little funny posting under success stories when I still have so much weight to lose, but I want to make sure that people realize that you don't have to get all the way down to your goal weight to have your health benefit from this way of eating.

You rock, Liz!

Your story sounds very familiar to me.

At my BookCrossing meetup this evening, I met a doctor who has been low-carbing since 1999. At our meetings, I'm usually the person who mentions dieting, health, Atkins, etc. Tonight, she brought it up to me and was quite pleased to hear that I was diligently working to control my blood glucose, etc. She is a BIG fan of Dr. Bernstein, was once one of his patients.

Anyway, it was a novel experience for me to encounter a doctor who was adamantly for low-carbing. She says she has a nickname here, but didn't tell me what it was. I'm looking forward to talking with her again, even if only by email.

She said our stories, yours and mine, were like hundreds she had already heard. Although she lamented that doctors, in general, were not more informed about low-carbing and the dangers of low-fat eating, she was firm about not dwelling on what might have been. She shrugged her shoulders as if to say that physicians were not to blame for the situation - yet agreed that too many people have died because of the horrible error of low-fat dieting. (More will die before it is laid to rest.)

I cannot yet shrug my shoulders and forgive the doctors who killed my mother young and ruined my health. It is still too heavy a burden. But, I think I am beginning to heal emotionally, too. Guess I needed more than one kind of heart treatment.

I hope your health continues to improve. Even Count Rugen agrees that health is everything.