#3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 23:02
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Arrow Atkins-phobic personal trainer

I met with my personal trainer for some orientation tonight at the gym, and he's really nice, but he's terrified by Atkins. He's been told it's a no-no and "thousands of people have died from it." I told him that I'm under a doctor's care, but he pointed out that doctors aren't the same as nutritionists (and I have to admit that he's right). That's what he really doesn't like about Atkins himself - he says Atkins has no nutritional certifications. I'd have to check that.

I told him I'm concerned about my triglycerides and scared of developing diabetes, and he was sympathetic. I said that, in fact doing Atkins has given me control of my carbohydrates, but if my workout requires that I add more, I'm comfortable doing so, and that they would be the right carbs, whole grains instead of sugar, etc. I think that made him feel better.

He does know his stuff in general, but I suspect he hasn't read the Atkins book, anyhow.

I might talk to a nutritionist one of these days, which I assume will be another dissenting opinion. But for now, I think that having some carbs in the morning does help me immensely. I do think I'm working out a fair amount and I'm increasing it, so I think I should be open to adding more carbs.

*sigh*