Thread: Plateaus
View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 15:25

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

As leptin gets lower your appetite increases, your metabolism slows down, and your body burns more muscle. Your body works against losing weight believing you are starving. In a modern traditional, low-calorie, hi-carb diet, leptin levels drop right away causing a stop in weight loss and tremendous food cravings.

It is not clear to me what low-carbing does. Leptin must go down but the food cravings must have something to do with carbs. Eating more protein likely helps save your muscles. There is a good chance it has something to do with plateaus.

The article failed to say that leptin can be regenerated by eating carbs, commonly known as a refeed. A day of Coke and fruit loops will raise you leptin levels nicely, and add a couple pounds. The thinner you get the more you need leptin (and refeeds) in order to loose weight.

Body builders seem to know about Leptin.
http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

I have believed in the leptin concept for a while, having learned about here. I am now getting thin enough that I refeed every week. I have managed maintain a .5 to 1 pound weight loss every week since starting refeeds.

I consider refeeds a weight loss tool to accompany this amazing low-carb diet. When I get to my target weight, I hope that it will be the end of refeeding, and then onto low-carb maintenance.