View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 15:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Oh, Lisa, I do agree that medicine is an evolving process. The quote you used of mine was more directed at finding a solution to obesity as well as to quite a number of physicians' attitudes as a whole.

On their attitudes... perhaps it would be easier to stomach doctors not knowing everything if they admitted that fact along the way. Yet, instead of saying "look this is a changing field, we are learning new things everyday," they say things like "Atkins caused your IR."

Don't get me wrong, as I said before I've had some really wonderful doctors. But in the long run, I've come across even more that act like you have ruined their day by coming in or worse, that you might be faking what is wrong with you. I've actually had some of these professionals question why I would be researching things on the net. So now I've offended them by getting sick and offended them again by having a pretty good idea what is wrong with me. Maybe it's threatening having information that was once sacred to only them become available to everyone by way of internet. Maybe they get truly frustrated by people self-diagnosing and worrying.

My take is that I know my body better than anyone and in the end it's me who has to live with it, healthy or sick. But I have also had my fair share of docs who have made me want to run screaming for my life so I am quick to find another if need be.

As far as finding a solution to obesity... I think there are a lot of people who stand to lose a lot of money if it were just that easy to say "Hey, you are IR. You can eat lower carb and balance your weight and lead a healthy life." We all know there are professionals out there who understand that a lower carb lifestyle is good for their patients but are threatened by it solving too many problems. What would the pharmacutical industry do if there were suddenly a cure for diabetes? So low-carb <i>is</i> bad... to them.

I gave my friend some great links as well as the link to this site. I hope that she can find strength in that.