View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Lisa... It's interesting, Dr. Atkins is the best at handling people who present misinformation about his plan. Quite a few times I've heard him say "You haven't (they haven't) read the book then." It's the smartest way to handle it and quite often how I handle any naysayers now.

In my experience with doctors I have found that there are some truly exceptional people out there. But more often than not my experience has found people with a heightened sense of self love and self appreciation to the point that they believe they are untouchable AND have a tee time. "You don't know more than me... I'm a doctor after all." Unfortunately, some people believe them.

This particular dr. knows that Atkins or low-carb in general is one of the best treatments for IR and diabetes. She just happens to believe that, for whatever reason, that low-carb also puts you in that position to begin with. Misinformed as it is, how do you say "I know you spent eleventythousand dollars on med school but you're wrong here." Okay... I might say that to them but I think most of the population just isn't comfortable with confronting someone who at some point might be their only link between life and death. It's this myth that for what they charge, doctors SHOULD be experts, they SHOULD know all the answers and when they give advice it SHOULD be factually correct.

But alas, the medical community can't give you all the right and real answers because eventually they would be out of their jobs and how would they buy the Lexus that takes them to and from Pebble Beach?

P.S. Sorry for my obsession with Drs. and golf... it stems from writhing in agonizing gall bladder pain while my surgeon finished up his 18 holes. How did I know? My brother was the assistant Pro at the course.