#4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:49
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Sindy,

I'm sorry you are feeling bad that no one responded. It looks as though you just posted your question about two hours ago. The forum is most active in the early morning and evening (when people are home from work), so questions posted in the middle of the day often take a while to get a response. The only reason I'm on right now is that I am home semi-sick and therefore I'm posting the web. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here until the evening or tomorrow morning. I didn't see your question until a minute ago.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that many people stall out for a few weeks after induction. It takes your body a while to get used to a new weight. I have been doing this since July and I tend to lose in spurts. My pattern has been to go down to a new low, then gain one to three pounds back, then go down again to another new low, etc. It's frustrating sometimes for me, especially during the periods when I'm gaining the one to three pounds back, but it just seems to be the way my body works and yours may follow the same pattern. If it gets really frustrating for you, you might consider packing your scale away for a few weeks or a month.

As to whether to stay on induction for a whlie or add other foods now, it depends upon how tired you are of the induction foods. Given the amount of weight you loss on induction, you can probably safely add some carbs to your diet and keep on losing (although no matter what you do the loss probably won't be steady), but you don't have to. I personally made the decision that I am in this for the long-term -- I started with almost 200 pounds to lose -- and that I needed more variety in my diet in order to not get bored. I am willing to slow down my weight loss a little to get that variety. I am not in a race as long as I know I am moving in the right direction. However, everyone makes this decision differently and some people have health reasons why they need to lose the weight more quickly.

I'm not sure that is an entirely satisfactory answer to your question, but it is the best I can do. You're right, losing 10 pounds in one month is excellent and the odds are that you won't continue to lose at that rate. After doing this for almost eight months, I am losing at the rate of about seven pounds a month.