#7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally posted by cre8tivgrl
Just like any way of eating, there are all extremes and people who make up all ends of the spectrum.

I know many vegans who get everything they need nutritionally and quite a few of them who have had healthy, safe pregnancies and children. Actually, I don't know any that have had an unhealthy pregnancy.

We, as low-carbers don't like to be clumped with those who get fanatic and eat only meat and cheese for three meals a day in the name of low-carb eating. And we particularly don't like it when the media prints a story that takes one of these extreme low-carbers and presents them as the majority saying "See? This girl followed low-carb and died from kidney failure. We just proved that all low-carb is unhealthy."

Perhaps vegans and their way of eating is similar and deserves the same respect?

Respect? No.

This is not the first story of this type I've read. There is an ongoing criminal case in my area about some vegans whose toddler died, starved to death, because of their dietary views.

If there were people dropping dead from low carb eating I wouldn't be eating this way, and I would not be reading in this forum. Nor would I be very interested in a way of eating which kept popping up in the news due to the deaths of children.

I do eat this way because I have done a lot of homework on the subject and I'm convinced it's a healthy way to eat. It is not a religious matter to me, but one of science and good sense.

I do respect a person's right to eat anything they want, but not when it is doing dire damage to their children. I'm sorry, but for me, people who worry more about poor little Bambi and Thumper than about their own babies and children do not engender respect.