#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 12:32
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default I need help with Mom's IBS!

My 74 y.o. mother has a history of hypoglycemia, IBS and arthritis. I've encouraged her to start an LC diet thinking it would improve these health issues. She's not overweight, except for about 10#, which she's already lost within 2-3 weeks since starting LC. She was thrilled with LC in the beginning, but has begun to suffer with some disturbing symptoms and I'm not sure where to lead her from here.

She's been following a typical LC diet....high in fat, probably too high in dairy for her, taking a multivitamin 3x/day and fish oil. A typical menu might be cottage cheese and fruit or eggs/bacon for bkfst, tuna/mayo/crackers for lunch, baked chicken or hamburger patty and vegetable for dinner. Last week she became so nauseous that she vomited 3x in one day. Her nausea continues and now she's complaining of her lower bowel and colon "hurting". She's been experiencing a feeling of anxiety since the shuttle disaster last Saturday. I thought the nausea might be caused by ketosis, so I encouraged her to increase her carbs (with fruit and vegetables, but NO wheat), especially since she's lost all the weight she wants to lose. I told her to make sure she's getting plenty of water. She thinks her multivitamins are making her IBS worse so she's stopped taking them. She is afraid of adding fruit and veggies saying that much fiber makes her IBS worse. In the past I believe she's controlled her IBS with a HIGH carb diet, low dairy and lower fat. She had a lot of sugar, potatoes, rice and pasta. After reading a bit more about IBS, I'm even more confused on what to recommend for her.

Any ideas out there???? Where do we go from here?
Sponsored Links