View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 22:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Low carbing while pregnant

I would suggest doing what I did - eating carbs but making sure they are low on the glycemic index, so they don't spike your blood sugars.

While in a prenatal visit my sugars tested in the high range of normal. Fearing that I might end up with gestational diabetes, I bought my own blood testing kit and started taking multiple daily readings at home. What I found was that I felt best eating carbs that didn't have a lot of white flour and sugar. Veggies and mos fruits were okay, and whole wheat bread was also great.

Sometimes I'd cheat and have a cup of something that didn't seem that bad, like cocoa, and WOOOO, up the sugar readings would go.

You can find various lists of foods with their glycemic index placement many places online, just do a search on Google.

Eating this way while pregnant was a pretty amazing change for me, previously I'd been a very hi-carb eater. But then when I changed my habits I just felt wonderful, and I lost all forty pounds of pregnancy weight within 12 days of Miles's birth! It was pretty shocking, and it led me to read more about low-carb diets. Now I'm hoping to lose all the extra weight I started with.