Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 22:09

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Re: Re: GLA, EPA & DHA Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona
Yes, I have read your previous messages on the matter and the brands you recommend. However, I'm in the UK and I haven't been able to find those brands available here as of yet.

I did post a correction to one of my posts regarding the NOW product. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77757&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Quote:
Not to mention that it's a bit sad to have spent 35 UKP (approx $50) and have two bottles I can't use. I'd prefer to not keep repeating this and find something I CAN use.

I can certainly understand that.
As a valued customer, I am confident the health food store I shop at would exchange the product and help me find one I could use without distress.

Quote:
Well, I need the items that are included in the Primrose oil and that was one of them. I guess Cis Linoleic Acid is the important item. So I won't get rid of my Primrose oil anyway.

Do you know why you are taking it?
I hate to bore anyone with scientific babble (some of which I don't understand either), but what I do know is Evening Primrose oil is a source linoleic acid and another kind of fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid, or GLA. This fatty acid is normally manufactured by the body from linoleic acid. It is transformed by the body eventually into eicosanoids, (hormones) that include the prostaglandins. The latter control such processes as inflammation, blood clotting, and cholesterol synthesis.
Since the body produces its own GLA, why consume it in Evening Primrose oil?
Evening Primrose oil can be valuable to those who have a decreased ability to otherwise form enough GLA. This would include those who do not get enough essential fatty acids in their diet, drink or have drunk excessive amounts of alcohol, have low thyroid function, or have received radiation treatment.
I have also recently learned it is often used by women to help relieve breast pain and symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome. In England, it is an approved treatment for breast pain and allergic dermatitis and eczema. It has also been advocated for high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetic nerve damage but the studies have not proven it.

Since you (usually)like the Solgar product line, you may want to try the Omega 3 '700' . Chances are though, it's not the fish oil itself you're having problems with. It could be the contaminants. Molecular distillation removes the contaminents. Too much GLA can also have adverse side effects.