View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jackal...

I have a feeling that this is a question that you're going to have to answer for yourself. If I were to answer that question for myself as a diabetic, I'd have to say that they would all give me a problem equally. Whole grain bread might give me the least problem if I kept it to 1 slice once in a while, but pasta, rice and potatoes will most likely be forever on my "do not eat" list because of the large spike in blood sugars that even a small amount of any of them produces. But...if you're set on eating rice, make it brown rice or wild rice and how about whole wheat pasta instead of that white stuff? Maybe half of a small potato instead of a huge baking spud?
You also might want to ask yourself why you feel that you "need" to have these foods and can't live without them. Do you really need them or are you still battling the carb cravings since you are only 8 days into induction? You may find that after a few more weeks or months, all of these things don't sound nearly as good (or even taste nearly as good) and they do now. Tastes do change on low carb. I was once a homemade bread junkie; a loaf of freshly baked bread rarely survived more than a few hours at my house. Now, while I still love the smell of bread baking in the oven, it doesn't taste nearly as good as I remember and doesn't tempt me at all anymore.
Be honest with yourself. If eating those foods got you overweight in the first place, how is going back to eating them once you get to your goal weight going to help you keep the weight off? Can you go back to eating them occasionally while controlling the quantities or will you wind up eating them every day in larger and larger quantities? These are questions that only you can answer for yourself. For myself, I know that there is no such thing as eating high carb foods in moderation; even a little will lead to more and more...that's the nature of addiction.