View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 10:08

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

There's the idea that if it's not added but rather an integral part of the food, then it's natural and healthful. The truth is that it doesn't matter where it comes from, it does the same thing once eaten and digested. But try to convince anybody of this just for kicks.

Quote:
Very simply, we are OVERFED YET UNDERNOURISHED!!! And added sugars need to go.

That implies that sugar is food. Because it implies that eating too much is what causes heart disease. The truth is that we are being poisoned. Because the reality is that sugar is toxic, regardless of where it comes from.

Quote:
Eat whole foods with a max of 5 ingredients each (preferably just 1 ingredient) — fruits, vegetables, raw nuts, grains, & fish, as each are void of added sugars.

It's not obvious here but that's the exact definition of the Mediterranean diet. As far as I know, there's a boatload of sugars in fruits, some vegetables and all grains. However, since it contains a boatload of other stuff which nourish us, then our appetite is satisfied and we don't remain forever hungry. It's a step in the right direction but it's far from being good. It's merely less bad.

And how the hell do you reconcile eating "grains" and avoiding "grain-based foods"?!?
Quote:
Tricks to limit added sugars

This is what I do to limit added sugars and make sure I don’t throw my overall "diet" in the toilet.

* Eat whole foods with a max of 5 ingredients each (preferably just 1 ingredient) — fruits, vegetables, raw nuts, grains, & fish, as each are void of added sugars.
* If it comes in a package, leave it on the shelf (think snacks, pastries, cookies, most breakfast cereals, etc)
* Leave a food on the shelf if it has any of these as the first few ingredients: brown sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, sugar (dextrose, fructose, glucose, sucrose), high-fructose corn syrup, honey, invert sugar, malt sugar, molasses, raw sugar, syrup.

And just to give you an idea — here are a few of the major culprits of added sugar in Americans’ diets.

* Regular soft drinks: 33% contribution to total added sugar intake
* Straight sugar and candy: 16%
* Cakes, cookies, pies: 13%
* Fruit drinks and “-ades” (not 100% fruit juice): 10%
* Dairy (watch out for sweetened yogurt and ice cream): 8.5%
* Grain-based foods (watch out for most breakfast cereals, waffles, and other similar foods): 6%

I can eat the grain but I can't eat the foods based on grains? What to do, what to do. Pff, don't they realize that HFCS is made from grains?