#3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 09:55

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

What applies to SUGAR also applies to Fructose ~ HFCS and derivatives and it's arguable that fructose has more damaging (uric acid raising potential)

Yes.

I find it interesting that Chris and Kara Mohr continue to recommend fruit consumption even after saying:

Quote:
Leave a food on the shelf if it has any of these as the first few ingredients: brown sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, sugar (dextrose, fructose, glucose, sucrose), high-fructose corn syrup, honey, invert sugar, malt sugar, molasses, raw sugar, syrup.

But eating fruit is OK:

Quote:
Keep in mind that when we say "added sugars" — these are sweeteners that are used primarily in processed packaged foods and beverages—think sodas, fruit drinks, cereals, and desserts. That doesn’t mean fruit, dairy, and veggies, which all have natural sugars. So don’t take this as a suggestion to stop eating fruits and veggies. That’s taking smart guidelines and applying them to what you may want to hear.

How is eating fruit recommended while fructose is not? Is there something different about added fructose than the fructose in fruit?

They answer this question:

Quote:
Added sugar is added sugar, regardless of the “type.” I mentioned in a previous post about local honey as my choice for added sugars, but that doesn’t make it that much better.

OK. So drinking a fructose drink (fruit juice or soda) that has, say, 25 grams of "added" sugar is to be avoided ... but eating a banana with 25 grams of sugar is OK? Is this because the fructose isn't "added"?