Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Talking Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddas
Lisa, FANTASTIC post. I had often wondered out this and you explained it so well! Do you think this effect would be mitigated by drifting out of ketosis at various points in the day?

First, thank you for the kind words. Second -- no, the effect would NOT be mitagated, if in fact ketosis is going to be a problem for you. It isn't a problem for many, mostly men.

But ketosis does put stress on the liver for many by forcing gluconeogenesis that in some, seems to go awry. Drs. Kwasniewski and Lutz (two of my LC heroes) seem to feel there's no good reason for creating the stress to begin with, and I agree. Clearly ketosis isn't needed to lose weight, so my question would be -- who needs it at all? I believe Atkins wanted it at the start of his diet because as has been illustrated a zillion times on this forum, it suppresses appetite. Which means eating not just fewer calories, but many fewer calories. Problem is -- that simply exacerbates the thyroid problem! So in effect you exchange one metabolic issue (insulin resistance, perhaps, or stored fat accumulation disorder) for another: thyroid resistance.

An update. On Dec. 1 I wrote: "I go for my first blood test since beginning T3 therapy a month ago on Thursday, and hope and expect to see if not a drop in TC, no further rise."

Well, I got my results last week. My TC -- and LDL -- dropped by nearly 100 points. EACH. That's with just one month of T3 therapy. Just as interesting: my TSH dropped to .22, which means it's suppressed. Which means T3 is starting to trickle into my cells again.

I'll have the rest of my results later this week, and I see the Endo to 'review' them on Monday. Since she doesn't know about my self-diagnosis and self-treatment with T3, I can't wait to ask her to what she attributes my astounding cholesterol change. I already know her answer: "I see you took my advice to stop eating so much saturated fat." To which I will reply: "No, I ate more of it than ever. Try again."

Then I'll sit back and teach her all about the connection between thyroid resistance and cholesterol levels.

Lisa