View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 11:00

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Results showed that snacking prevalence increased significantly from 71 to 97% in 2003-2006 with increases in both the 1989-1994 and the 1994-2006 periods.

In all adults, snacking occasions increased 0.97 events over this time period (P < 0.01) and the contribution of snacks to total energy intake increased from 18 to 24% (P < 0.01).

Ok, I'm probably going to reveal what a nut I am by saying this, but snacking has become a major pet peeve of mine. When did we get to the point that we couldn't survive without shoving "food" into our mouths all day long?

I work in an academic law library. I've worked in libraries since I was about 20, and have been a frequent user of libraries my whole life. I have a college degree and several advanced degrees. When I was an undergrad (1980-1984), we didn't eat/drink in class or the library. And somehow no one starved to death, or even passed out from hunger.

Now there's the constant sound of crumpling wrappers and chomping of chips in class - I'm still a student. And despite the fact that the library prohibits food, the students bring snacks in all the time. There they sit, staring at their computer screens with their hands moving automatically from chip bag to mouth and back. It angers me that they're so disrespectful of the library and its rules - I'd love to see one of them pull out a bag of chips and a big gulp in some judge's courtroom, they wouldn't dare! But lately I've actually found myself feeling revulsion and contempt. It isn't necessary to eat all the time, and there are some places and times when it should be inappropriate to eat.

I think it was a proposal of Michael Pollan's that we need to develop a food culture. My addition would be that food doesn't belong in libraries, classrooms, or church services.