View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 175/175/160 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

I have completed P90X, 4 rounds now. It is truly a great way to GET in shape and STAY in shape. It is a commitment - 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. It alternates between resistance and some cardio. For those who would like to do pure cardio, I have only to say to you that true and permanent weight loss requires lots of strength training. Muscle mass burns fat, even when you're sitting on the couch. Cardio may be great for losing weight, but if you stop - the weight comes right back. Study after study has shown that anaerobic resistance training burns more fat than what is called "cardio". It also promotes strength, coordination, and increased muscle mass.

The equipment required for P90X is modest - a good set of bands OR a chin-up bar and some dumbbells, which you may purchase more of as you outgrow them. You can combine and mix and match. As for bands - the Beachbody ones are not inexpensive, but I wasted more money on junky bands that either snapped or I had to toss than if I'd just ponied up and bought BB's high-quality bands. Bring a towel, a water bottle, and you're good to go. Oh, push-up bars are good too - and cheap!