View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 17:34

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

You better stay away from that vegetable fat!

http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...ourcetype=HWCIT
Quote:
Results
Higher total fat intake increased the risk of progression to the advanced forms of AMD, with a relative risk (RR) of 2.90 (95% confidence interval, 1.15-7.32) for the highest fat-intake quartile relative to the lowest fat-intake quartile, after controlling for other factors (P trend = .01). Animal fat intake was associated with a 2-fold increased risk of progression (RR, 2.29 for the highest quartile compared with the lowest quartile; 95% confidence interval, 0.91-5.72), although the trend for increasing risk with higher animal fat intake was not significant (P= .09). Higher vegetable fat intake had a stronger relationship with increased risk of AMD progression with an RR of 3.82 (95% confidence interval, 1.58-9.28) for the highest quartile compared with the lowest quartile (P trend = .003). Saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and transunsaturated fats increased the likelihood of progression (RR, 2.09 and P trend = .08; RR, 2.21 and P trend = .04; RR, 2.28 and P trend = .04; RR, 2.39 and P trend = .008, respectively). Higher fish intake was associated with a lower risk of AMD progression among subjects with lower linoleic acid intake. Processed baked goods, which are higher in some of these fats, increased the rate of AMD progression approximately 2-fold, and nuts were protective.

Vegetable fat almost doubles the risk of saturated fat.

From the objectives of this study, it seems the researchers went in with a pre-determined agenda.

Quote:
Objective To advise patients with a high risk for advanced forms of AMD about preventive measures through our evaluation of the relationship between dietary fat intake and the progression of early or intermediate AMD to the advanced stages of the disease associated with visual loss.

And the results are based on food-frequency surveys. Gold standard of nutritional research???

Sorry, I'm not changing how I eat based on this study.

ETA: That wasn't the "recent" study on the link. This is & I can only access the abstract.
http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...ourcetype=HWCIT
Quote:
Design Women aged 50 to 79 years with high and low lutein intake from 3 sites of the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study were recruited into the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study. Fat intake from 1994 through 1998 was estimated using food frequency questionnaires, and AMD was assessed photographically from 2001 through 2004.

Food frequency studies and notice diet was evaluated in 1994-98 but eyes were examined 7 years later!

Quote:
Results Intakes of {omega}-6 and {omega}-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which were highly correlated (r = 0.8), were associated with approximately 2-fold higher prevalence of intermediate AMD in high vs low quintiles. However, monounsaturated fatty acid intake was associated with lower prevalence. Age interactions were often observed. In women younger than 75 years (n = 1325), total fat and saturated fatty acid intakes were associated with increased prevalence of AMD (multivariate adjusted odds ratios [95% confidence interval] for intermediate AMD, 1.7 [1.0-2.7] for quintile 5 vs quintile 1 for total fat [P = .10 for trend] and 1.6 [0.7-3.6] for saturated fatty acids [P = .23 for trend]). The associations were reversed in older women.

Omega 3's really??

What does "lower prevalance" mean here? approximately 1.9 fold???

In younger women, the risk of AMD goes up with increased fat, but it goes down in older women? Why?

Since there's no data available to me, I'm not worried about this study based on the abstract.