Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 11:38

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Re: Wish me Luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by puppetlady
I am not new to low carbing but haven't actually tried CAD.I have ben doing Atkins for since Jan 7 ,2003 and I did Atkins once last year to lose weight and found the best benefit was that it helped get rid of the pain and fatigue I have had for 17 years now. I have always had hypoglycemia reactions for as long as I can remember but LCing has taken care of that. I got the pain under control with coral calcium and this morning.......

Doesn't coral calcium just work wonders? My whole family is on it, and we all love it. It could also be the reason, though, your appetite has disappeared. It tends to do that sometimes. But that is great you lc too!

Quote:
1. I really only like to eat 3 times a day ......in fact that is even hard for me . I have been eating only 1 or 2 times a day for so long that 3 is like a big change for me. I have to think about eating to eat that often and it is a real struggle to get to 5 ........in fact forget that.It doesn't work for me............

Me too, I don't have time to eat 5-6 times a day. In fact, I've gotten it down to 2 meals a day. One CM breakfast, and on RM lunch. I don't get hungry until the next day doing it like that. I'll probably have to change that after I have kids, but for now, it works for me perfectly.

Quote:
2. I have totally NO APPETITE at all and that just doesn't seem right. I was thinking that the one reward meal a day might help me to have a normal appetite again. I never have been a big eater and if anything I ruined my metabolism by not eating....to avoid the blood sugar swings.Do you think that CAD/CALP could help with Appetite without giving me a bad blood sugar reaction?

Well, I get hungry sometimes, and I have an appetite for my RM, but other than that, I really don't have much of one either. I think that is supposed to be a good thing though...

Quote:
3.. If I keep doing Atkins I think I might lose my mind. I have read all the books and if fact own all ofthem . ........PP,CAD,CALP.Atkins,....I believe I can do the 2 LC meals a day because I just have to eat the stuff from the list and not worry about the counts.Is that correct? I haven't been able to get up over 1500 calories on more then 5 days since I started and all the stuff I have to keep track of makes me feel like I am doing it WRONG. Protein/carb/fat ratios. Eat 5 times a day, keep carbs at 20 then find CCL. I just know that this isn't right for me so I have to do something different I can balance that at one reward meal by eyeballing it. That is just more my personality so after reading it it seems right for me...........

Right, the stuff on the list will keep you eating with very little insulin release. The CMs are what make the RM work. More on that below.

Quote:
I am afraid of is that if I eat the "forbidden" carbs once a day I will feel sick again (hypoglycemia response) But from what I understand if I make sure the reward meal is balanced that I shouldn't have a negative blood sugar response?

What happens is your pancreas releases the insulin based on your past meals. So if you past meals have been normal CMs - very low carb - than it will release a small amount of insulin right before you start eating. This is where the 60 minutes comes into play. Insulin is released in 2 waves, and they are about 60-70 minutes apart. The first one is like I said above, based on your previous meals, and the second one is releasing any for the meal you just had. So if you go over the 60 minutes, sometimes even just by a few minutes, you will get caught with that second, larger rush of insulin. Basically, you are kind of tricking your body into thinking your RM was just another CM. And if you ate within the hour, the second wave will never come and it'll never recognize the difference.

But that is where you also find out whether your hypoglycemic reactions were to the insulin or to the foods. A lot of people really have bad reactions ot wheat and other starchy foods, whereas people who do well on CAD/CALP are ones who are truly hypoglycemic. CAD/CALP is great for finding out though because it really is all about listening to your body.

Quote:
start being hungry all the time.......or
gain the weight back and more...........

Most people that switch from Atkins to CAD/CALP gain a few pounds and keep it on for a week or two. After that they go downwards at a healthy rate of abotu 1-2 lbs per week. Remember, we AVERAGE, so you don't just weigh Sunday and then the next Sunday weigh again. It is every day. When you do this, you find out if something you ate affected you. Let's say that you did well and steadily went down Mon-Sat, but Saturday you had a super high sodium RM and so you shot up a few pounds overnight. If you did it weekly, you would be discouraged because it would show the same or even a bit of a gain. If you did it daily, and averaged it, you'd see that you actually lost weight, and that last night gain was just water weight.

Anyways, good luck with the switch over, and keep visiting these boards. They are great for motivation and support!