Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default This is not a happy road you're on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becs101
I eat now about 800 cals a day or less and work out (heavy CV) Spinning, 5-6 times a week. Yet no weight loss, hair thinning still, hands freezing cold and feet all the time, and severe digestion problems. I can't take any more.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as long as you continue the two activities that is causing the problem -- starvation level calories combined with over-exercise -- you will continue giving yourself the problem. So I guess you will have to continue to "take it."

Quote:
I have decided to buy Synthroid online. I am a bit worried about causing myself some harm

You won't do yourself some harm. You will do yourself a lot of harm.

Quote:
I have added test results
TSH : 2.66 REFERENCE RANGE 0-4-4.0 (HIGH)
FREE T3: 2.60 REFERENCE RAGE 2.86.5 (LOW)
FREE T4 / FREE T3 RATIO: 6.58 REFERENCE RANGE 3.0-5.0 (LOW)
FREE T4: 17.1 REFERENCE RANGE 10-22 (NORMAL)

Well, let's see. Your TSH is high. Your Free T3 is low. Your Free T4 is actually high -- and the one test you really need is missing: rT3.

It's an especially important test for you because it looks like (not surprisingly, given your history of under-eating and over-exercising) a classic case of a Reverse T3 problem.

When you stress your thyroid by not eating enough calories, or really pile it on by not eating enough AND exercising too much -- your T4 begins to build up, and instead of converting to the metabolically active T3 (the thyroid hormone that does all the work, unlike T4), it converts to Reverse T3 -- a metabolic black hole that does nothing whatever to support the thyroid. What will make this really bad situation even worse? Why, taking synthroid -- which is pure T4.

Basicaly, Bec -- you've trashed your metabolism. It can be healed, but it's now going to take you a long time and it will mean making major changes to your life. Real food, lots of it. No more exercise for some time - months. And then, about once a week. And of course, you need to get your rT3 tested and do the ratio between it and Free T3. That ratio (T3/rT3) should be over 20. I suspect yours will be closer to 7. If so, you will need to make the changes listed above, and take pure T3, which is cytomel -- until your deep well of rT3 empties -- about 12 weeks.

Quote:
Any advice would be great.

Taking you at your word, here's some good advice: stop causing your thyroid to fail. Stop exercising. Start eating. A lot. Get the medical tests you need. And don't rely only on medicine to turn this around, because real behavioral change will also be required. I know I sound harsh here, but while I'm sure that people in your life who care about you have spoken out about what you're doing to yourself, I'm not sure you heard them. So since you asked for advice, I'm giving it honestly -- and harshly enough to hope you can hear this. I wish you luck and hope you can turn this around.

What you can't do without more serious harm -- is take any more synthroid.

Lisa