View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 20:53
Canuck Conundrum

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

First, I agree...just from reading what you ate, without the benefit of Slowday's fitday calculation, my gut reaction was to tell you that you are waaay low in calories. The 10 - 12 times calorie thing is correct . Your ratio of fat/protein/carbs should be about 65/30/5. The best way to figure out these numbers is www.fitday.com, as Slowday used.

Now on to your sadly misinformed doctor. The concern about ketoacidosis is a common but huge mistake that a lot of health care folks make. Low carb does NOT produce ketoacidosis, it produces ketosis, two entirely different things. Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition common in diabetics. Ketosis is when evidence of fat burning show up in your breath and urine. Your doc needs to do some research before preaching the dangers of Low Carb.

If finding another doc is a problem, go back to yours and have him run a full lipid panel...and compare it as you go along and see how your numbers change. It is common for triglyceride levels to drop drastically with this WOE, as well as a rise in good cholesteral levels. Some panic when bad cholesteral numbers rise a little, but it's the low and the triglycerides which determine heart health. There are lots of good links about this in the main menu.

I just love taking proof of misinformation and shoving it back at these so called health care professionals. Many of them have heard snippets of rumor and bashing on Dr. Atkins, and take it as gospel. It's a shame though that they don't read current studies that dispute that standpoint. Like the recent one conducted by Duke University. Now from where I stand...Duke is a much more reliable source than Dr. Whoever, who obviously doesn't read his medical journals till he runs out of other bathroom reading material.

Please keep track of that weight loss, please visit fitday and put in your number, please eat more, drink lots of water...and I mean LOTS...., and please start a journal. It's the best way to track your intake, and visit others. A great source of info and comraderie...and we have a buncha fun!!!..Visit me at mine and let me know when you have one up and running. I'll check on ya and bash yer doc some more...lol.

Sam