Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 16:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0doyle
Ok, I'm a 18 year old college boy and Im not on a low carb diet or anything, but I was eating lunch today and a couple of my friends asked if I felt ok because my eyes were yellow. I said i felt fine and went to my dorm to check it out. I actually had noticed something weird about my eyes when i woke up but i couldn't pinpoint it in the mirror so i shrugged it off. Anyways, when i checked after lunch, the whites of my eyes were yellow when you looked at them close but just looked dark from a distance. So I went on the internet to see if i could find some answers because one of my lunch friends said it could be a sign of liver problems. About three to four weeks back, I had pain in the right side of my lower back and wasn't sure if it was a kidney problem or a pulled muscle because i run and play a lot of sports, since then that has gotten better, but now I wonder if that may be linked. Also this morning when I urinated I noticed It was a dark shade of yellow, nothing like the shade of coffee but just dark enough to where I actually took a second thought about it while i was peeing. I am going home next weekend to see the doctor for a sports related foot problem, do you believe i can wait till then to have this checked. Oh and I have never drank in my life, but last night I did take three IB Profen (sp?) for a headache, which is one more than i usually take. I have been getting a consistent 6 to 6.5 hours of sleep a night as well, perks of college homework. Any suggestions or comments you might have would be a serious help. thanks

This is not normal. You have jaundice, which is not something to trifle with.

Please, see your doctor as soon as possible.

And just for the record, an excess of beta carotene can indeed turn the skin yellow, but it does not cause actual jaundice, ie yellowing of eyes and dark urine.