View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 23:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/196/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Psness,

My husband was also diagnosed with fatty liver a few years ago. His liver enzymes were elevated but was negative for hepatitis. He had to get a liver biopsy to finally get a diagnosis. He weighed about 220 at the time and was told to lose weight. He eventually went on atkins and went to 180 lbs. Repeat liver enzymes went to normal ranges. Because I'm a med tech and work at a lab it was easy for me to track his progress. The one thing that was a problem for him (and still is actually) was consuming meals very high in fat. He would get horrible side pains to the point we almost went to the ER assuming he had appendicitis! The protein never bothered him. So he had to do a modified Atkins. He ate mostly chicken and lower fat fish and not more than one serving of beef a week. The other thing the biopsy showed was that he had 4+ iron granules present in his liver. I ran a ferritin level and it was 350 (very high). He had to give multiple blood donations to get it back down to normal ranges. So he was concerned about eating a lot of iron rich meat. Losing weight basically solved his problem. Now he just has to endure me teasing him about having had a liver that would have made great pate! Hope this helps!-Holly