Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 14:00
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi TerriDoodle:

Quote:
How long have you been taking chromium? How much?

I've been taking 200 mcg of chromium picolinate for about the last 3 weeks. Not really enough time yet to notice a difference.

Quote:
I have just been learning to get past that initial false hunger....the one that signals me to eat "or else"....I realize that the hunger is okay now.... it doesn't mean I'm going to crash.

That is really great that you are able to do that. For me, the false hunger isn't an "or else" thing. I'm past that fear of crashing, so I know my blood sugars are stable in that respect. But the false hunger, to me, is harder to ignore than true hunger. True hunger is just in my belly whereas this false hunger seems to consume every part of me. That sounds totally weird. One of my coping mechanisms in the past was that I could go a long time without eating. It was easier to not eat anything than to deal with the hunger after eating. That's probably the reason that I'm not obese today even though I've had a weight problem since I was 19. I have a twin sister who is obese so technically I should be the same way. But I was able to unhealthily maintain my weight through obsessive exercise and skipping meals (with the odd binge thrown in just to satisfy the false hunger Gods). It's why I really want to sort everything out. I've fought hard to regain my health (a whole other issue ), so normalizing my eating patterns is the last step to, I guess, self-fulfillment.

Anyway, I thought I'd post and tell you what I found. Being the obsessive/compulsive that I tend to be, , I separated each of my meals from fitday, then charted them on a bar graph. Very interesting results.

For dinner, not only were my carbs highest in proportion (nothing new there), but my fat intake was substantially lower at dinner than at any other meal. Even though I was getting my 70-79% fat per day, the numbers were all skewed. Furthermore, my protein intake was also highest at dinnertime (that didn't come as a surprise either).

Last night, I tested this theory. I made a chicken caesar salad. Instead of one serving of dressing, I added about 1/4 cup of dressing (56 grams of fat). That was the largest amount of fat I've eaten at dinnertime since I started using fitday. Well, I was so full all night I thought I'd be sick. That was good news. I even dropped 1/2 pound overnight even though I felt like I was carrying a full load in my stomach. Probably too much fat, but I made my point to myself. Even today, I'm finding I'm very full just from last night's dinner. I haven't eaten lunch yet (it's 3:12 pm) so I'm going to have to force the food down.

So I guess what I have to do is even my meals out a little. Distribute my fat and protein intake more evenly. This is very encouraging because I know that it's a start.

I tried contacting Atkins about that information but gave up after a substantial time on hold. If I e-mail them, who knows when I'll get a reply. I still haven't received a reply from a few weeks ago for another question I had. Maybe I'll try again later.