View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Rules/Tips for cheating??? Special nostalgic foods.

I've always wondered if there are any guidelines or better ways to 'cheat' so as to minimize the symptoms of having carbs? 99.9% of the time I am totally dedicated to this way of lifestyle, , but everyone knows that there will be exceptional times when you will have that special strawberry/rhubarb custard Pie, because Aunt MAggie from England made it just for you and it reminds you of your childhood visits and she is so old that it may be the last one she makes. Or, like when I visit my home, in Newfoundland once every couple of years and my Dad makes salt fish and Brewis (hard Bread) and It so reminds me of my culture and the cod is almost extinct and it is so good, so I will eat it.

I've just wondered if other than limiting the amounts, there is any way to flush those carbs out of your system: lots of water, exercise, eating them with nothing else, on any empty stomach, late at night, early morning?I know this is totally sacrilegous, but its a fact for me,. There will be rare times when I will cheat, so if there is anyway to sort of control the cheat, I'd like to know.

For all the wonderful things about this WOE, the most difficult for me is giving up cultural or nostalgic foods. While I am creating my own traditions and my kids will have different food connections, food is a big part of the human experience. I can make homemade bread just like my Mom made and everyone loves it. She was so proud of what a bread maker she was and since she has passed away, me making and enjoying her bread recipe was a way to remember her. And all Newfoundlanders eat are Potatoes! In this WOE I am allowed next to none of the foods that I grew up on. All of my comfort foods are iilegal. I am sure everyone has these challenges and while I think the benefits are worth it, I still think it is OK to admit that you miss these things. Wow, this post is long. I'll stop now. I'd love to hear anyyone's ideas about all this! Lois
Sponsored Links