View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/196/145
BF:
Progress: 20%

First of all Lessara, relax.
I've had many panic attacks. I know they are scary but just relax and they'll pass. I had my first panic attack when I was 19, now I'm 21. I have done a lot of therapy and research about them. They occur to protect us (flight or fight ?!).When my first one occured I was in a really good mood, out of the blue it just happened. I called 911, I thought i was having a heart attack.When you start to understand them they're not so scary.There is however some reason for them to occur, but with a therapist you find that reason. If it happens again , don't run and stay put. Concentrate on your breathing.I learned a technique through my relaxation group which might help. It's called square breathing. Take a deep breath for 4 seconds, then hold again for 4 seconds, after that exhale for 4 seconds, and then hold again for 4 seconds before you enhale again. For me it works.The counting keeps you focused just on breathing. You can hold for as many seconds you want just as long as its the same count for all four.(I usually hold for 3sec because i smoke and that's how much i can do it for). Please don't be afraid,you might go into a bigger panic if you fear. I have now learned when a panick attack is coming on, and i catch it before it errupts.Tell yourself "I'm not afraid of you , come on I'm waiting for you this time " and it will probably not come. Remember you are not alone. A lot of people suffer from this . You're not going to die!!!!!!
Please, if you have any more questions, do ask. I'm sure I can help you with a lot. Speaking from experience.
Take care and relax. Bye for now.