#9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 15:00

Plan: Paleolithic Diet
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default IBS for 10+ years

Hello,
Just want to add my 2 cents and found it very interesting reading all your posts. I have been carb-free since '08. I am carbohydrate intolerant. Out of sheer desperation with being sick all the time from IBS, I ended up on the Paleo diet. Even on Paleo I have still struggled. What I am very puzzled by is the very thing that every one seems to say to avoid, is the only thing that helps me, and that is cheese.
And this is not a fluke. It's not just one time that it's helped me. The only way I am able to stabilize is if I eat cheese (high fat) every day, along with yogurt (lower fat), and probiotics, and a number of easy to digest supplements. But without the cheese, like Brie, or any high cream cheese, I am really unable to get well formed stools.
And I have tried every IBS-cure method there is around. And yes, yes I know. Paleo is anti-dairy. I follow everything else on Paleo except I do eat cheese and yogurt. I cannot tolerate milk though. But I don't have a problem with cheese and yogurt.
I have read in a book (fibre menace), that high fat stimulates the liver to produce bile which stimulates bowel movements. Because when I eliminated all grains from my diet, I was finding I was then struggling with constipation. Anyways, I don't know why cheese helps me. I have gone completely dairy free before, and it did not help.
I remember when I first developed IBS, often all I was able to eat was yogurt. Anything too fibrous, or rough, and I don't do very well. I seem to handle fruits well though, and and since I gave up carbs, I'm able to digest lettuce now (which I never used to be able to).

Anyways, that's my rather strange digestive system.

Genie