#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/190/150
BF:
Progress: 17%
Exclamation Low-Carb and Pregnancy

Help! Please

Low-carbing and Glucophage for insulin resistance jump-started a 20 year-old batch of inovulatory ovaries to start pumping out eggs. I'm 41, boldly gray, and delightfully pregnant. (12 weeks today) Very much a miracle, considering my history of infertility. Now, I'm researching my brains away trying to find solid research to support or negate how my carb-intake and nutrition should be now that i'M PREGNANT.

I do not tolerate sugar in any form any more. Since the pregnancy I have been SICK! Thinking morning sickness, perhaps, until my perinatologist had me start running my sugars 8 times a day. I was quite surprised to discover that my morning sickness was actually bouts of severe hypoglycemia.

DOctors response was to eliminate Glucophage. Although I must admit I am feeling better without it, I now am back to 25gms a day 0r< of carbs and am worried if that is enough to feed a growing fetus??? If I add more carbs I suffer bursts of pain which I believe is an insulin rush, then I become lethargic and fall asleep only to wake up with severe hunger pangs and low blood sugar even though I ate less that 2 hours ago. That is a cycle I feel I must avoid at all cost.

Another concern. I utilize artificial sweetners and have learned to survive my sweet tooth creatively. It has been recommended that I eliminate artificial sweetners, but the known evil alternative is sugar. Which is the better evil for the pregnant?

If there are any other 40+ women out there who concieved due to low-carbing life-style. I'd appreciate some insights. I'm simply amazed at how your body turns into a volcano spouting daily changes. I want my pregnancy to be uncomplicated and healthy, but I just can't philosophize that giving up the life-style that led to the pregnacy is appropriate even though standard maternity guidelines recommend increasing carb intake.
Sponsored Links