#12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 19:09

Plan: Bodyopus
Stats: 242/228/208
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
I agree that it's an individual level which is why I get concerned when I see things insinuating that nobody should go over 30 grams of protein per meal. Obviously that guideline can't apply to everyone.
It's a fine line between getting enough protein to keep your body from cannibalizing it's own muscle tissue to get the amino acids it needs and getting so much protein that you knock yourself out of ketosis although IMHO, it would take more than 30% of your calories from protein to do that. If it came down to chosing between slower weight loss due to excess protein and losing lean body mass due to insufficient protein, I'd probably go with erring on the high side.
I wish I had my Protein Power book handy as I think the Eades' address the issue of "how much protein is too much?" in their book, but it's currently on loan to my step-mom.

I agree with you on the 30g/meal, not on the 30% issue.

Say we use your 30g per meal...at 4 meals a day...on a 2500kcal/day diet...

...that would be (protein) <20% of total caloric intake....which I think would be fine for most people.

But you said that "it would take more than 30% of your calories from protein to (knock yourself out of ketosis)." For the same scenerio, if you increased from 20% to 30% (a 50% increase), that would put you at 45g PRO/meal, which you admitted would be too high.

Listen, 30% PRO diet is too high for most people. For example, take a 2500kcal/day intake....30% of that is 750kcal (from protein), which is equivalent to 187g/day! That is HIGH, HIGH, HIGH! (For a 80kg person, that would be 2.3g/kg). For most people, that intake WOULD be too much protein and likely keep them from ketosis.

Just my opinion.