Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:18

Plan: Bodyopus
Stats: 242/228/208
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default !

Quote:
Originally posted by Psilocybin
It works, but it takes me forever to get back in ketosis.
Something else thats good for energy is ECA stacks, they always perk me up :P

If you're getting kicked out of ketosis, you may be taking in too much carbs post-workout (?) Also, make certain your post-workout carbs are SIMPLE and not complex. If you take complex carbs afterwards, you're essentially taking a timed-release sugar pill that will spill sugar into your blood AFTER your insulin-sensitivity has worn off (~1 hour).

I'm always afraid to endorse ECA stacks, as ephedrine is so misaligned in the lay press. I did undergraduate research on the use of beta-adrenoreceptor agonists in concert with methylzanthines (if anyone's interested I'll gladly email you the paper). Two huge trials were done, one with rhesus monkeys and the other with human adolescents – the results of both were very promising. The studies actually showed a decrease in certain cardiovascular risk factors among the E+C group! When taken with recommended dosages, ephedra is perfectly safe. All these horror stories that have been reported to the FDA are anecdotal, not to mention that most involve dosages well over what are recommended OR they involve people with pre-existing risk factors, i.e. arrhythmias, hypertension, or other CV disease. Also, many of these cases are 'abuse' cases where the ephedra was combined with recreational drugs such as amphetamines.

These studies (as well as many others) show significant increases in bodyfat loss in the E+C group over the control group. In fact, the rhesus monkey study actually showed an increase in lean body mass among the E+C group! (There are some wild theories as to why this might happen, but I won't bore you with them here.)

So, I am ALL FOR the use of ECA stacks, as long as they're taken within the recommended dosages.

Sorry for the long-winded response.