#2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 14:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hullo Helen,

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much discomfort.

Are you taking calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements? I'm not sure if by "muscle spasms" you mean cramps - a fairly common occurrence when beginning LC. The best thing for cramps is magnesium, although potassium also helps.
The best way to take magnesium is with calcium in a 2:1 cal:mag combination. Ideally you should be taking 1500:750 daily (that's what I take) in divided doses.
Potassium can be taken either as tablets or by using a potassium salt such as No Salt. You may need up to 400mg daily. Again it's best taken in divided doses. If you choose to take tablets, always have with meals, as they can irritate an empty stomach. And do drink plenty of water.

Which reminds me - are you drinking plenty of water? It's easy to get dehydrated on this WOE (way of eating) and lots of water is needed. I routinely drink a minimum of 4 litres daily. I think 2 litres daily is the absolute minimum.

For anyone taking a potassium supplement who is taking water pills or blood pressure lowering meds, please check first with your doctor or pharmacist as some meds are "potassium sparing" and taking extra potassium could be a problem.

I hope that helps you, Helen.

Rosebud