View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:24
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I regularly get negative comments about Atkins. I always assume the people are well intentioned and respond as politely as possible in the interest of educating them. Most people are simply ignorant and if you tell them what you are eating (lots of vegetables, healthy fats like olive oil, etc.) they actually appreciate the information. I think I've changed a fair number of people's minds about Atkins by assuming that they really do think they have my best interests at heart and therefore I should treat their concerns seriously and politely.

I deal with clients at lot in my work and when I think they are wrong about something they want me to do (which happens, unfortunately), I have learned to treat them with courtesy and respect, but at the same time explain my position without getting defensive and without putting down what they are saying. The same skills that are useful when disagreeing with clients work with Atkins critics, and I think they are much more effective than getting confrontational.