View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

The way I remember it, cyclamates were brought on the market to compete with saccarine. It was great! As far as I'm concerned, no after taste, no cravings. The research determined it could cause cancer in large amounts (sorry, can't remember the dose, but it was pretty high), so it was pulled off the market.
Later the found saccarine also can cause cancer, again in large doses, so they tried to ban that as well. Because it was the only thing that diabetics had that would allow them to still enjoy sweets, the FDA decided to allow saccarine to remain on the market, until a viable substitute was found. The FDA also eventually lifted the ban on cyclamates, but by then no one would touch anything made with it, for fear of getting cancer!

Now, when aspartame first hit the market all was well. Then people started complaining about seizure-like problems....and women complained that their periods had stopped. Since then, extensive reasearch has been done and they say there's no link....but there's an awful lot of anecdotal evidence that says there is.

I hate the taste of saccarine, and refuse to use aspartame (I get nasty sugar cravings when I use it)...and never tried any of the others until starting LC. Since then I've used maybe 12 packets of Splenda (since early August)

Personally, I'd take the cyclamates in any dose over saccarine or aspartame. Partly because of the taste, mostly because of the potential effects. Mostly, I prefer to avoid all artificial sweeteners.

Cindy