View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:53

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Teri, congrats another 1 lb. gone forever.

Slimmin, I am in the same frustrating boat as you. The only way I have been able to get the scale to budge is to reduce intake to the point of hungry discomfort and to up my exercise to levels of freakish insanity. Indeed, I got down lower than goal this past fall, but the second I went back to eating normally and exercising at a comfortable pace, the weight came right back. This was as quick, if not even quicker regain than I used to experience after going off of my lowfat 'diets.' I don't really care so much about the number on the scale, in fact, I don't have a scale at home; I weigh only at my gym. But I do care that I still have what I call bra underhang and waistband overhang! I want to be able to sit comfortably without wads of fat spreading about.

I briefly considered doing an Atkins-style shake up thingy where I eat a lowfat, high carb menu for a few days. The problem is, I have no desire to eat in that manner and it is dangerous to me. I lost my appetite for pasta and I know that for me eating even one slice of bread is the fastest path to destruction. My present plan is to stick with my usual LC menus and eat only as much as I need to feel sated. My tendency is to eat huge servings of whatever LC substances please me. I don't count calories, but I know at times my portion sizes are enough to feed an army.

Also, does anyone have an educated opinion about cardio vs. lifting as the best method for getting rid of abdominal fat? When I am in the gym, I hear all these conflicting voices about which will work better, and I end up stressing instead of exercising. More cardio, at a more intense pace is supposed to reduce abdominal fat? Or is it lifting heavier weights for a short period of time? Or should I just sit on the floor and relax and stretch and pray that the weight will miraculously disolve?