View Single Post
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

JoAnn, my doctor actually SUGGESTED I try Atkins (or similar plan) on January 2, 2003. I was concerned because I was afraid it would be bad for my kidneys, afraid of all that fat, etc., the same old rap we hear from everybody. She suggested that she monitor my labs and that I go ahead and try it.

This LC WOE seemed like my only solution, since both of my parents (and sibling) are insulin dependent and my mom had to go through the diabetic descent into cardiac-related disabilty, blindness, kidney failure, and death because I believe she had the same problem of insulin resistance early on that I do now. Unfortunately, she just kept trying to do better at the low-fat, high carb diet until she died last year. I wish she'd had access to the LC solution offered to us.

Three weeks after seeing my doctor I've read 3 books on LC eating, bought several cookbooks, found GREAT support on this site, and lost 7 pounds as a great start to my LC journey. Most importantly, I have no cravings, no chasing insulin crashes with sugar, and for the first time in my life I feel only mildly interested in food. This is a miracle for me. I walked 7 miles yesterday and worked out at the gym and had energy to spare.

The more I read in both the scientific journals and in the popular press LC books, I've become utterly convinced that hyperinsulinemia is my underlying problem (this is supported by my own blood glucose monitoring). Wish I'd understood that 20 years ago, but I'm glad I understand it now.

I think I never would have tried LC unless my physician suggested it. I was so thoroughly indoctrinated with the low-fat, high-carb dogma that my mind was not open to LC eating at all.

Lucky me. Lucky us.