View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think that in any diet, we must eventually consider the caloric level that we are ingesting. At some level of weight loss, in order to continue that loss, we must be eating fewer calories than we need at that weight. I am using the Aktins diet plan, and I've noticed that many people on it do not realize how forcefully, in several places, the Atkins book says that we must lower our overall volume of calories as we progress on the diet.

I've been trying to monitor this factor as I progress; evaluate every day how much I am eating in terms of caloric intake overall. I am surprised some days at the need to restrain myself.

Your body "knows" when you are in diet mode with Atkins by the level of carbohydrates you are ingesting daily. Ketosis causes the metabolism to start burning fat. But eventually you reach a point where if you are ingesting as many calories as the body can burn, you cease to lose weight. In the Atkins plan, the trigger is continuing to eat too much protein and fat calories, as well as the potential for having too many carbohydrates.

I recommend that as you go, you monitor how much you are eating. If you are not naturally lowering your food volume, the book offers assistance.

Good Luck!