View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:30

Plan: Diabetic diet
Stats: 172/160/135
BF:
Progress: 32%

homegirl,

i posted new US guidelines issued by AACE (american assn of clinical endocronologists) this morning ...they were issued this month. assn states that they estimate that the number of people with undiagnosed thyroid problems is actually DOUBLE the original estimate and is around 27 million (instead of 13) their new guidelines are .3 to 3.04 for a "normal TSH". i think the link is posted under "newbie question on thyroid" or it is "tsh rising".

normally, the morning basal (armpit) temp is taken with a mercury thermometer that you leave under the arm for 10 min. if it is <97 hypothyroid is suspect....most drs discount this, however...just as yours did. your body temp does usually rise once you get up

go to www.thyroid.about.com and register for the forum. this is an international forum...many canadians visit it....they may know where you can get blood labs done without a doctor requesting them, if you can't find a top doc in your area. since i was laid off after 9/11, i use one here...costs me around $80 usd for tsh, Free T3 and Free T4, which is less than my dr chgs....and she accepts the labs...in fact, she had her office call me last wk...needed the online lab info for another of her patients that needed thyroid ck but no longer has ins!

also, on the main home site (where you register for the forum) there is a "top doc directory"....these are not just US doctors...there may be a canadian doctor, in your area, that has been recommended by his patients....it's worth checking

let me know if i can help in any way.
faye