#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:58
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Luisa,

I nursed both my kids for over a year, and I took many long (several miles) walks with them in strollers when they were infants, starting when they were a few weeks old. It didn't have any effect on my milk supply or on their growth rates. (One was 26.5 pounds at a year and the other was 22 pounds at a year -- the one who was 26 pounds at a year is now over 6'2" tall and has always been tall/long so the 26.5 pounds was not heavy for him.) I'm a lap swimmer and I also started swimming laps intermittently when I was nursing them. The problem with lap swimming was I had to get someone else to watch them, so walking was easier since I could take them along.

You should probably start slowly if you haven't been exercising, but I'd try to work up to walking at least one-half hour or 45 minutes most days. Once spring gets here and the days stay light longer, if you can do it in the evening with your husband, it's a nice way to spend time together. Now that my kids are old enough to leave home alone, my husband and I are once again walking together on weekends and some evenings, something we had stopped doing after the kids were out of strollers. I really enjoy the relaxed time with him.

Also, if you don't have a quality stroller, it's worthwhile investing in one. The cheap ones are very hard to push. For walking, you don't need one of those expensive jogging strollers, but you do need something with decent wheels. My youngest is 13, so I have no idea what the good brands are now. Way back when, I had a McLaren that was a real splurge to buy, but was worth it. I put a lot of miles on that stroller.

Are you nursing Daniela to sleep? In my experience, kids who are nursed to sleep take a lot longer to learn to sleep through the night. Every time they turn over at night, they want to nurse again. If it doesn't bother you, it's fine. If it does, I'd try to cut out the bedtime nursings so she learns to fall asleep on her own. I stopped my kids nursing to sleep early (two or three months) and they almost always slept through the night. My sister nursed hers to sleep until they were two or so, and they didn't start sleeping through the night until they stopped nursing. It didn't both my sister, and once they stopped nursing they started sleeping through the night. It's only a problem if it is a problem for you. I can't function if I don't sleep at night, so for me it was a major problem. My feeling is once the nursing baby is 9 or 12 months old, the mother has some rights as well.