#6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 05:13

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 314/295/250 Male 69
BF:2 much %
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nginear1
Hi all, I only have a few more days till I go grocery shopping for meat, cheese, leafy green things, mushrooms, etc... But I want to get a few things cleared up if possible.

1. What are the main issues that sprout up for guys on long-term VLC plans (say, < 20 g carbs/day)

2. Relating to 1, when first starting a VLC diet, I read about a strong diuretic effect, which throws off electrolyte levels (hence the recommendation for Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium supplements). Does water balance return to normal after a long while, or does it remain at a lower % over the long term? Also, if water balance does rise back up somewhat, will this help electrolyte levels?

3. For the guys; I only have about 20 lb of excess fat to lose (6 ft, 180 lb currently) How hard is it to maintain a 6-pack with a VLC/ LC WOE? I plan on continuing my current weight training and running regimen (compound weights 3x/wk, running 2-3x/wk, no more than 1 fast mile at a shot)

Any answers or links to threads w/ answers are greatly appreciated!

Only 2 more days of trashohydrate food left!

howdy.

the main issues for me with maintaining under 20 grams is avoiding the hidden carbs in things I love. I limit myself to under 5 grams of carbs per feeding but eat as many meals a day as I like , usually spaced about 3 hours apart. I try to keep my muscle mass and even add to it while dropping body fat. I know that my goal weight is somewhere between 250 and 235 so i am carrying a good deal of muscle mass. I have a big appetite so having to prepare my meals every day (or cook huge quantities of eggs and meat for a couple days at a time is a big deal). being prepared with portable protein is essential. Nuts, cheese, pepperoni and sausage snacks ...portable protein is a good thing to have around.

dont sweat the diuretic effect, if you eat enough meat youll get what you need. I have never taken supplements of any kind. I do know some folks get cramps from dehydration mainly if they dont drink enough water and continue to consume coffee and diet sodas. get your multi vitamin if you feel more at peace doing that. I go mainly for meats, nuts, berries (maybe once every week or two), cheeses. no problems at all.

Regarding wt training and running. If you do not consume enough calories you might feel weeker (at first) under the weights and you might feel heavy legged on your runs. I have found that by eating every 3 hours those things are not a problem. cutting the carbs is a common way to show the chiseled six pack (I carry a keg at the moment) for most body builders so you can smile about that. good luck and have fun with it.