View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

wcollier is right in that no matter what you eat you have to really look at the labels on all prepared foods.

I have Bob Evans sausage every other morning and it has no sugar or wheat listed. Not sure if its available in Canada. Its a little more expensive than other brands. The only mystery ingredient on the label is spices. On fitday the generic fresh pork sausage has only .13 grams of carb per ounce. You have to be careful of sausages with flavors, especially maple. They have enough carbs to really make a dent in your daily allowance.

I also use a pork bacon made by Gwaltney, which is very good and contains no sugar in its curing, although I believe it has nitrates.

For brats, hotdogs and other specialty sausages, you have to be really careful and look at that label. I have seen some of them bad boys have as much as 5 carbs in a small hotdog.

On fitday.com, smoked sausages have about a half a carb per ounce. Which is okay if you do overdo it. But before you cook it, go back to the store and look at the label, just to make sure.

Happy eating

slowday