View Single Post
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/163/143 Female 172
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

I'm new but just wanted to say Atkins advocates never going below 1500 calories because you will go into startvation and your body will grab onto fat which is the last thing you want to happen - that is a fact of biology.

Also you should never do the Fat Fast unless your weight has stalled beyond one MONTH and you have been eating completely clean (ie observing the Rules of Induction of whatever rung you are on and not overindulging in the food limits set out in the original diet).

I am Insulin Resistant and have been chatting to Jacqueline Eberstein who workled with Dr Atkins for 30 years, has been an Atkins for Lifer since the 1970s and is an Atkins advisor to thousands, here is what she said to me:

"I do recommend the following:

Please read Dr. Atkins book cover to cover for all of the info that can help you to succeed and learn things that can interfere with weightloss.

Do a strict induction level being sure to read labels on any processed foods as carbs can be hidden in many foods.

Weigh only once a week and take measurements every 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that weight can fluctuate because of salt intake and fluid shifts in the body. One can gain from time to time but if you're doing the plan correctly an increase is not fat but fluid or muscle. As soon as you add any sources of sugar you will immediately retain more water and see a scale increase.

After any deviations it can take up to 4 days to begin to burn fat. Insulin levels go up after a carb intake and make take a bit to normalize again.

This is a lifestyle change and it is helpful to take the long view not day to day. Depending upon the amount of excess weight and genetics and how the weight has upset your metabolism it can take time for the body to normalize. It doesn't happen overnight.

With PCOS you do not need to have all of the symptoms. It is an insulin resistance syndrome and very low carb is the best way to handle the hormonal imbalances.

When you have IR even small amounts of the wrong foods matter and even when you are at your goal you will need to be very careful determining maintenance. You will probably need to stricter than someone without PCOS and IR.

What is your goal in both weight and size? What size are you now? Size and inch loss is more important than weight loss. Keep in mind that birth control pills can increase IR and slow weight loss. That has to figure into your situation as well as your age when hormonal imbalances show up anyway and IR usually gets worse as women transition into menopause.

Don’t weigh yourself more than once a week and if the scale suddenly goes up and you have been on the plan it’s only water gain. Progress isn’t nice and steady-there are fits and starts.

Think of this as a long-term process as you have to still do some level of low carb to maintain. Also remember that this is as young as you will ever be, so take advantage of that rather than giving up and having to begin again in the future."

Hope this helps...

Singadiva