Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMariana
Sorry...I only use the "pinks" so I don't know...what is Stevia? Is it called something else I might recognize?

Stevia is one of the few natural sweeteners around that don't affect blood sugars. It can be used on candida diets whereas artificial sweeteners are not allowed. The following website gives a nice history of this remarkable herb.

http://www.stevia.net/

Much like the way Dr. Atkins has been caught in the political process, so has stevia. The artificial sweetener business is very powerful and has been putting pressure on the FDA to prevent this herb from being accepted as a natural sweetener. Apparently, there is no such thing as a free market! In other countries where aspartame has been banned, stevia is used quite successfully in commercial foods.

Given the pressure on the FDA, stevia was initially banned in North America. After a lot of counter-pressure by the stevia advocates, the FDA lifted the ban, but stated it could only be marketed as a food supplement, not a sweetener. That is the ruling to this day. It's ridiculous. That ruling means that it can't be used in commercial products as an alternative sweetener.

Having said that, the other reason it may not be popular is because it is extremely sweet. Many people don't like the taste of it because there is a licorice aftertaste if not used properly. Part of the problem is that because stevia can't be marketed as a sweetener, there aren't a lot of recipes around using stevia, so people are left trying to do a lot of conversions on their own. It used to only be sold in liquid form, which was very hard to convert. Now stevia comes in all sorts of forms, liquid, spoonable (with several differtent types of fillers such as dextrose, lactose, maltodextrin, F.O.S., and chicolin), packets, and quick dissolving tablets. It's a lot easier to use now, so even those people who say they dislike stevia from a few years back should give it another try. Just be careful about purchasing stevia with dextrose or maltodextrin. They have hidden carbs, just like the splenda does.

Pokey One, the best I have used so far is the spoonable stevia with a chicory root extract as a filler. It has no calories and no carbohydrates. The brand I use is "Touch of Nature" by Amazon. However, it is also chemical-free (ie. not bleached), so it is a beige color. They also sell their product in packets, which I find very convenient. I have a big loose jar plus the packets, which fill all my needs.

There are other products out there that sell this combination, I believe, but if you need to find out who carries this product, you can call or e-mail the company, located in Whitby, ON - toll # is 1-877-296-2626 or e-mail is amazdist~idirect.com (the "at" symbol doesn't show properly on the link so you will have to change it). I know Karen Barnaby uses stevia so she may be able to supply us with her brand. She would be a better source than me.

There is also a Low Carb Stevia Cookbook. I had to order it from Amazon.com in the US cause I couldn't find it in Canada. Author is chef, James Kirkland.

The following link provides a conversion chart for those using stevia. You are always better to underestimate than to overestimate.
http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html

I'm very reluctant to use splenda. Not only does it cause cravings (for me), but it gives a chemical aftertaste. I had chemical sensitivities (MCS) prior to LC WOE so I guess I am more sensitive to it. Given the track record with aspartame, I don't really trust that any artificial sweetener is safe, especially consumed in the quantities that many low carb eaters may consume. Occassional consumption is very different from daily consumption. Information is starting to trickle in about the side effects of Splenda. I personally think we are trading one problem for another. Many would disagree (ie. Atkins), but many are also of the same opionion (PPLP, Schwarzbein). It's for each person to decide, as long as they are able to make an informed choice without the political interference of the North American governments.

Hope this helps,
Wanda