View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 00:26

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm also bi-polar so I understand what your husband is going through. I also gained 30 pounds 2-3 years back because of a severe depression and combo of meds. I had zippo motivation but then again it's never been real high. It could be your husband is over medicated as you have suggested. I was too at one time and was not even aware of it but my husband was. It seemed like the doctor kept on upping my meds and/or changing them to find the right combo. Finally this summer I found a good combo and so far I am still pretty stable. Still have ups and downs but not as severe or as long lasting as they use to be.

I now take neurotin, effexor, celexa, seroquel (low dose of seroquel which is in the same class of zyprexa) and occasionally ambien. At one time they had me on 300-350mg of seroquel which made me like a zombie. Now only take 25mg at night to help me sleep. It could be his dosage of zyprexa is too high. Please talk to his doctor again and ask him all the questions you need too. When I was at my sickest, my husband really helped by talking to the doctor about his doubts with the medications etc. He got pretty aggressive while I sat there and cried. Boy was I a basket case!

Anyway, my point is don't give up, your husband and the right doctor will find the right combination of meds. Unfortunatley it takes time but is well worth it.

You must be pretty special because I know how mental illness effects the entire family, especially the spouse. I am so glad my husband didn't give up on me and so is he!