Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
I was tested again, and found out, even with taking approx 1,500 iu a day, my D has dropped down to 29.

So, I'm now on prescription 50,000 iu a week.

Just 6 mos ago, it was at 52. I imagine this has to do with time of year, but was nonplussed to see this theory clearly proven.
Prescription D2 is unreliable and may be totally ineffective. The Case against Ergocalciferol as a vitamin supplement
You would be [better off taking one of these once a week.

Your body needs around 5000iu/daily . If you are currently breast feeding then it would be better to take 6400iu/daily to be certain sure you are passing D3 to your baby through your milk.
It is only when we get above that level that the body stores surplus D3 for winter use.

Given FULL BODY sun exposure (or as near too as you dare) your skin generates around 1000iu every 5 mins if you are laying down not standing and your shadow is shorter than your height (indicating the angle of the sun is such that UVB penetrates the upper atmosphere and reaches the ground.
Providing you ensure you DO NOT BURN (that destroys the D3) and carefully alternate short sun sessions with periods allowing your skin to cool and the D3 to be absorbed, your body can generate up to 50,000iu/daily. That is why it is safe to give people a 50,000iu supplement. It is an amount we know the body can handle. But that is the exception. 10~20000iu is a more reasonable expectation for a day on the beach. Bear in mind that when they measured Outdoor workers in Omaha on average, over the year, they only acquired 2800iu/daily when it was averaged out. So if outdoors workers (yes they probably worked with their working clothes on, not naked) only make that amount spending all day outdoors it is unlikely that the average persons casual sun exposure will get significantly more. That is why we find that for the average Wisconsin woman it takes 5000iu/daily and the average Wisconsin man requires 6000iu/daily to reach 150nmol/l 60ng.

Although a 50,000iu/d3 daily would get you around that level because d2 is LESS EFFECTIVE it is unlikely to achieve the same effect. Dr Davis has reported finding one of his patients had been taking 50,000iu DAILY for over a year and still had LOW vitamin d status. Some people just cannot utilise the D2 version at all.