View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 09:30

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree that saying Atkins is a low-calorie diet in disguise is ridiculous. However it's good that they keep reminding people that quantities do matter. Just look what happened when the message got out that you can eat as much as you want, so long as you restrict fat. That message was eroneous and more wishful thinking than anything else, but nevertheless it was embraced with fervor. The similar message "eat as much as you want, so long as it's not carb" is not as problematic because protein and fat are in some ways self-limiting. There is only so much you can eat of cheese and meat. It's not as problematic now but the market has slowly started to respond to this new trend. I bet we can expect a huge reaction in future. The shelves will be flooded with low-carb products, just as they are now flooded with low-fat. God knows what will be in those things, but I am willing to bet that not all those products will be innocuous. Quantities (and calories) will matter. Junk food tends to be junk food, whether it's low-fat or low-carb. Junk food is a large part of why people got fat. And supersized portions of junk food is what got a lot of them obese.

Just something to keep in mind.