Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 10:03
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
Doctors order a lot more tests than they used to simply to cover their butts in this litigious society (it's referred to as CYA medicine). If something happens to the patient or heaven forbid they should die, some lawyer out there is usually quick to find some test that wasn't ordered or a drug that wasn't prescribed or a procedure that wasn't performed and convince the family to sue the doctor for medical negligence. Medical malpractice insurance comes into play then as claims are paid out and premiums go up. The doctors have to cover the costs of higher premiums, so to stay in practice, they pass that cost along to the patients.
See how this is all tied together and we as individuals played a part in this too? How many people do you know who feel that they haven't been "treated" by the doctor unless they leave the office with a precription in hand? How many people do you know that will pressure their doctor to let them try the latest and greatest drug out there after seeing a commercial for it on TV (Rogaine and Retin-A and a host of allergy and cholesterol-lowering medications come to mind here)? Consumers drive the market. I'll fault the pharmaceutical industry for their commercials and ads trying to convince everyone that they need whatever new drug they are coming out with, but people also need to stop and ask themselves if they really need that new drug or if they are simply falling prey to slick advertising.

Hi Lisa:

You are very correct. We treat medicine as if it were an exact science. It's not. Usually it's a matter of sorting out the percentages. An inexact science coupled with human error (no one is perfect) equals lots of money for lawyers. Luckily, we don't generally have that problem in Canada.

When my husband first started practicing, I remember he naively stated that he wouldn't blindly dispense drugs. If someone had to eat healthier, lose weight, quit smoking or start exercising, that would be his advise. In the real world, it didn't happen that way. Patients come to doctors for drugs, bottom line. I think they just simply wore him down. They don't want to hear about their problems or addictions, they want a quick fix. And let me tell you, they get downright cranky when they can't walk out with a prescription in their hands. We have become a hedonistic, "instant gratification" society.

When I grew up (and health care wasn't free), you didn't go to the doctor unless you were deathly ill. Parents knew how to care for their children. Now with free health care in Canada, we have patients who come in every week with minor complaints. It's such a huge drain. We've had hospitals in our area closed down to visitors and minor emergencies because people were coming to the emergency with the flu (along with their barf buckets), making the hospital staff sick.

People have to get back to taking their health into their own hands. Until then, we've got problems.